How Respite Care Helps Caregivers Manage the Busy Holiday Season
BY KURT SAPP, ADMINISTRATOR, SEMINOLE SHORES LIVING CENTER, NORTON SHORES
The holidays are the busiest time of the year for most people. Caregivers, who already have an overbooked schedule, can quickly become overwhelmed with the added stress. The increased workload can cause them to put their own needs on hold, jeopardizing their health and that of their loved one.
Here are five ways respite care can help caregivers manage the busy holiday season.
What is respite care? Respite care provides short-term relief for caregivers by temporarily taking over their normal caregiving responsibilities. Respite care can involve having a professional caregiver go to your loved one’s home; or having them stay in a senior living community like Seminole Shores Assisted Living for anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks.
It can be an excellent option for caregivers who want to participate in holiday festivities without having to sacrifice their own well-being or that of the loved one they care for.
1. Reduce Stress. Respite care can alleviate some of the stress that comes along with caring for an aging loved one by allowing them to do something for themselves — even if it means doing nothing.
Having a few hours to relax and get some much-needed rest can make a world of a difference in their mood, health, and overall well-being.
2. Avoid Unnecessary Conflict. When you are overwhelmed, it’s not uncommon to lose your temper and lash out at people. This can be especially true with family members you feel aren’t pulling their weight when it comes to caring for your loved one.
Respite care can give you time to cool off and unwind. When you’re well rested, you are more likely to hold back your resentment and confront family members calmly.
3. Prevent Serious Complications From an Illness. When you are overly stressed, your immunity suffers. A strong immune system is critical during a busy time like the holiday season.
Not only can respite care help protect your immunity, but it can also provide your love one with a place to stay if you get sick. The last thing you want to do is spread your illness to an older adult.
4. Give You Peace of Mind. One of the best things about seeking respite care at an assisted living community is the “community” aspect.
Your loved one will be able to spend time with people their own age who are in similar situations. While you get a break, your loved one can make friends. Relationships and feeling connected to others is crucial for longevity and overall well-being.
5. Allow You to Enjoy the Holidays. Everyone deserves to enjoy the holiday season. Respite care can allow caregivers to do some of the activities they may have had to skip because of their caregiving duties, such as attend a holiday party or do some holiday shopping. Respite care can give caregivers the opportunity to do so.
Respite Care at Seminole Shores Assisted Living – a Heritage Senior Community. The holiday season may be the first time your family has seen your loved one in a while. During your time together, you may begin to talk about a senior living community as a more permanent situation. Respite care provides the perfect opportunity for your loved one to experience the community first-hand before committing to a more permanent stay.
Seminole Shores Assisted Living offers respite care services such as adult day care and short-term stays. If you would like to learn more, call Seminole Shores, today!
Seminole Shores Assisted Living Center, located in Norton Shores, Michigan, gives seniors the opportunity to be independent while knowing that assistance is available to serve them whenever they need it. The center offers housekeeping, laundry, medication management, 24 hour care, three home-cooked meals a day and a full activity and event program. A pet-friendly community, Seminole Shores Assisted Living Center is owned and operated by Heritage Property Management Inc., located in Grand Haven, Michigan. Heritage Property Management Inc. is a family-owned company that operates nine assisted living homes and five independent living homes across the state of Michigan. Learn more at seminoleshoresalc.com and call (231) 780-2944 for a tour.